Savory Vegetable Puff Pastry
Savory Vegetable Puff Pastry Ingredients:
- 1 sheet of puff pastry (thawed if using frozen)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bell pepper (any color), diced
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup spinach or kale, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese (cheddar, mozzarella, or your choice)
- 1 egg, beaten (for egg wash)
- Sesame seeds or poppy seeds (optional, for topping)
Savory Vegetable Puff Pastry Instructions:
- Preheat Oven:
- Preheat your oven according to the puff pastry package instructions, usually around 375°F (190°C).
- Prepare the Vegetables:
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and sauté until translucent, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the minced garlic and sauté for an additional 1 minute.
- Add the diced bell pepper, zucchini, mushrooms, and cook for about 5-7 minutes until the vegetables are tender and any excess moisture has evaporated.
- Stir in the chopped spinach or kale, dried thyme, dried oregano, salt, and pepper. Cook for an additional 2 minutes until the greens are wilted. Remove from heat and let the mixture cool slightly.
- Assemble the Pastry:
- Roll out the puff pastry sheet on a lightly floured surface to smooth out any creases and slightly enlarge it. Cut the sheet into desired shapes (rectangles or squares) depending on your preference.
- Place a spoonful of the vegetable mixture on one half of each pastry shape, leaving a small border around the edges.
- Sprinkle a little shredded cheese over the vegetable mixture.
- Fold and Seal:
- Fold the other half of the pastry over the filling to create a triangle or rectangle shape. Press the edges together with a fork to seal the pastry.
- Egg Wash and Bake:
- Brush the top of each pastry with beaten egg for a golden finish. You can also sprinkle sesame seeds or poppy seeds on top if desired.
- Place the filled pastries on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 15-20 minutes, or until the pastry is golden brown and puffed up.
- Remove from the oven and let the pastries cool slightly before serving. They are delicious served warm!
Enjoy: Enjoy your savory vegetable puff pastry as a flavorful appetizer, snack, or light meal. You can easily customize this recipe by using your favorite vegetables and seasonings.
You can check this recipe for more details.