If you’re looking for a delightful and healthy vegetarian dish, Butternut Squash Stuffed Shells are an excellent choice. These stuffed shells are not only delicious but also packed with nutrients, making them a perfect option for a satisfying and wholesome meal. In this blog post, we’ll share a step-by-step recipe for Butternut Squash Stuffed Shells, so you can enjoy a taste of comfort and nutrition in every bite.
Butternut Squash Stuffed Shells Ingredients:
For the Butternut Squash Filling:
- 2 cups butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cubed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage leaves, chopped
For the Stuffed Shells:
- 24 jumbo pasta shells, cooked and drained
- 2 cups marinara sauce
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (for topping)
- Fresh basil leaves for garnish
Butternut Squash Stuffed Shells Instructions:
Step 1: Roast the Butternut Squash
- Preheat your oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Toss the butternut squash cubes with olive oil, salt, black pepper, and ground nutmeg.
- Spread the seasoned squash on a baking sheet and roast for about 25-30 minutes or until it’s tender and lightly caramelized.
Step 2: Prepare the Filling
- In a bowl, mash the roasted butternut squash with a fork.
- Add ricotta cheese, Parmesan cheese, mozzarella cheese, egg, minced garlic, and chopped fresh sage. Mix until well combined.
Step 3: Stuff the Pasta Shells
- Fill each cooked pasta shell with the butternut squash mixture.
Step 4: Assemble and Bake
- Spread a thin layer of marinara sauce in the bottom of a baking dish.
- Arrange the stuffed pasta shells in the dish.
- Pour the remaining marinara sauce over the top of the shells.
- Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese.
- Cover the dish with aluminum foil and bake at 375°F (190°C) for 20-25 minutes.
- Remove the foil and bake for an additional 10 minutes, or until the cheese is bubbly and golden.
Step 5: Serve and Garnish
- Garnish your Butternut Squash Stuffed Shells with fresh basil leaves before serving.
Step 6: Enjoy
- These stuffed shells are best enjoyed fresh from the oven. They are a fantastic combination of creamy butternut squash, cheesy goodness, and perfectly cooked pasta.
Recommended Recipe: How to Make a Flavorful Tuscan Chicken Wrap
Butternut Squash Stuffed Shells are a healthy option that’s sure to satisfy your taste buds while providing the nutritional benefits of butternut squash. Whether you’re cooking for yourself, your family, or guests, this dish is a crowd-pleaser that showcases the flavors of the season in a delightful and nutritious way.