Korean Vegetarian Dumplings (Mandu)
Korean Vegetarian Dumplings Ingredients:
For the Dumpling Filling:
- 2 cups finely chopped cabbage
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 cup firm tofu, crumbled
- 1 cup glass noodles, soaked and chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Round dumpling wrappers (gyoza or mandu wrappers)
- Water (for sealing dumplings)
- Vegetable oil (for cooking)
For Dipping Sauce:
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- Optional: chopped green onions or red pepper flakes for extra flavor
Korean Vegetarian Dumplings Instructions:
- Prepare the Filling:
- In a large mixing bowl, combine chopped cabbage, shredded carrots, crumbled tofu, chopped glass noodles, chopped green onions, minced garlic, grated ginger, soy sauce, sesame oil, sugar, and black pepper. Mix well to combine all the ingredients.
- Assemble the Dumplings:
- Take a dumpling wrapper and place about 1 tablespoon of the filling in the center.
- Moisten the edges of the wrapper with water using your finger.
- Fold the wrapper in half to create a half-moon shape and press the edges together to seal. You can also crimp the edges for a decorative look.
- Cook the Dumplings:
- Heat a non-stick skillet over medium heat and add a small amount of vegetable oil.
- Place the dumplings in the skillet, flat side down, making sure they don’t touch each other.
- Cook until the bottoms are golden brown.
- Steam the Dumplings (Optional):
- You can also steam the dumplings by adding a splash of water to the skillet and covering it with a lid. Let the dumplings steam for a few minutes until they are cooked through and the wrappers are translucent.
- Make the Dipping Sauce:
- In a small bowl, mix together soy sauce, rice vinegar, sesame oil, sesame seeds, and any optional ingredients. Adjust the proportions to taste.
- Serve the Korean vegetarian dumplings hot with the dipping sauce on the side.
These Korean-style vegetarian dumplings are not only delicious but also fun to make, making them perfect for various occasions. You can customize the filling by adding your favorite vegetables and seasonings. Enjoy them as an appetizer, snack, or part of a larger meal.