If you’re a fan of Mexican cuisine and looking for a mouthwatering meatless option, our Vegetarian Enchilada Recipe has you covered. In this blog post, we’ll guide you through creating a cheesy and flavorful enchilada dish that’s sure to satisfy your taste buds. Get ready to indulge in layers of deliciousness with this comforting meal!
Vegetarian Enchilada Recipe Ingredients:
For this scrumptious Vegetarian Enchilada Recipe, you will need:
For the Enchilada Sauce:
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons of all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons of chili powder
- 1 teaspoon of ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon of dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper
- 2 cups of vegetable broth
- 1 can (14 ounces) of crushed tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons of sugar (optional, to balance acidity)
For the Enchilada Filling:
- 1 cup of cooked black beans
- 1 cup of cooked corn kernels (fresh, frozen, or canned)
- 1 cup of diced bell peppers (a mix of colors)
- 1 cup of diced red onion
- 2 cups of shredded Monterey Jack or cheddar cheese
- 8 small flour tortillas
- Fresh cilantro leaves
- Sliced jalapeños (optional)
- Sour cream (optional)
- Sliced avocado (optional)
Vegetarian Enchilada Recipe Instructions:
1. Prepare the Enchilada Sauce:
- In a saucepan, heat the vegetable oil over medium heat. Add the all-purpose flour and whisk continuously for about 1 minute to create a roux.
- Stir in the chili powder, ground cumin, dried oregano, garlic powder, salt, and black pepper. Cook for an additional 1-2 minutes to toast the spices.
- Gradually pour in the vegetable broth while whisking to create a smooth sauce.
- Add the crushed tomatoes and sugar (if using). Stir well and let the sauce simmer for 10-15 minutes, allowing it to thicken. Set aside.
2. Prepare the Enchilada Filling:
- In a mixing bowl, combine the cooked black beans, corn kernels, diced bell peppers, and diced red onion.
3. Assemble the Enchiladas:
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Take a tortilla and spoon some of the vegetable and bean filling onto it. Sprinkle with shredded cheese.
- Roll the tortilla tightly and place it seam-side down in a baking dish. Repeat this process for all tortillas.
- Pour the enchilada sauce evenly over the rolled tortillas. Sprinkle with any remaining cheese.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes or until the enchiladas are heated through, and the cheese is melted and bubbly.
4. Garnish and Serve:
- Remove the enchiladas from the oven and garnish with fresh cilantro leaves. If you like a bit of heat, add sliced jalapeños as well.
- Serve your cheesy and flavorful Vegetarian Enchiladas with optional sides like sour cream and sliced avocado.
Recommended Vegetarian Recipe: Crowd-Pleasing Vegetarian Polenta Recipes
Now you have a plate full of cheesy and flavorful Vegetarian Enchiladas, ready to delight your taste buds with every bite. Whether you’re a vegetarian or simply looking for a satisfying and meatless Mexican meal, this enchilada recipe will quickly become a favorite. Enjoy the comforting taste of homemade goodness!